Hey there, everyone. I hope everyone is having a good semester. Right now we are in the thick of Winter. It’s cold, a little snowy, and I really miss the sun. Anyway, since it’s the middle of Winter, we also know that it’s the middle of cold and flu season. We try our best to stay healthy, but it can be nearly impossible when we’re around so many people all day. What’s a student to do?
If you were around me at all last year, you’ll know that around this time I was sick for a while. Clearly, I know something about being sick. We all here the basic tips on being healthy. Drink fluids, rest, yadda yadda yadda. But what else can I do when I’m sick? Well, something that always helped me was psychosomatics. If I tell myself that I’m feeling better, than I start believing that I’m feeling better even if I’m not. Let me share with you some of my best tips for faking wellness:
- Get Dressed. When you’re sick, you’ll want nothing but to stay in your pajamas. However, if you get out of bed and put clothes on, you’ll feel a little more like a regular person and you may feel encouraged to move around a little more. That brings us to my second point.
- Move. It’s hard. Believe me, I know it’s hard, but you need to move. Even if you just walk around your house a little, it’s something. Some movement will freshen your surroundings and brighten your mood.
- Put on Some Make Up.. Dab some concealer on your nose and eyelids; or maybe put foundation on your face. Do something that will cover up the redness and hide the sick face. Look in the mirror after you’ve done this. You’ll look a lot healthier and it’ll make you feel much better.
- Wash your Hands. This easy tip can sometimes be forgotten. Always remember to wash your hands multiple times a day, especially during cold and flu season. If you don’t have access to soap and water, hand sanitizer is another great way to stay clean.
- Eat Well. Our bodies need nourishment, especially when we are sick. If you are feeling under the weather, eating lots of fruits and vegetables is a great idea. Also, it might be cliche, but homemade chicken noodle soup is one of the best things for you when you’re sick! Check out this recipe right here.
So, there you have it. I hope they help you. I should mention though that there is one fool-proof way that you can help yourself feel better. Don’t get sick in the first place 😉 *
*If your cold/illness persists, please seek care from a medical professional.