Any opportunity you can get to obtain an internship is a great way to prepare for your future career. An internship is a position of a student or trainee who works in an organization, in order to gain work experience or to satisfy requirements for a qualification. Some colleges require that all of their graduates have an internship before graduating. This is a great way to set up graduates for success. Nearly 90% of people who have an internship with an organization get offered a job when they are eligible for job opportunities (National Association of Colleges and Employers).
- Gain Experience: Before going into your field of choice, you want to have as much experience as possible. This will help you decide whether or not you are entering into the right career. Completing internships in different areas will help you decide what you want to do. I feel that this is the best way to maximize the internship experience. Being able to sit down before graduation and think to yourself, “Which field did I enjoy the most?” will enable you to select one that you enjoyed and should love doing for a long time.
- Communication Skills: Holding these internships will help improve your communication skills. You will be able to meet new people that you may have never crossed paths with if it wasn’t for the internship. The more people you communicate and build relationships with, the larger your network will be. One thing that I was always told is “The more people you know the better.” The more people you know, the more people can introduce you to professionals in your industry.
- Practice: Just like anything else in life, “Practice Makes Perfect”. The more practice you have in your desired field the better because it will enhance you for the future. The more experience you get, the better you will be when you’re on your own. Every project or assignment you complete will increase your skills and knowledge of the company. This is why most businesses want to keep interns when they complete their internship.
- Resume Builder: Having an internship will help you build your resume. Internships can go on your resume as job experience and take the place of some less professional jobs you may have had in the past. This could give you the leg up in applying to jobs by having professional experience.
- Real World Experience: In order to be ultimately ready for the real world, one must get real world experience. The classroom is very important but this does not always prepare you for what’s to come in the real world. Being able to learn from professionals will be more beneficial in some cases then simply classroom experiences.
The philosopher John Locke once said, “No man’s knowledge here can go beyond his experience.” The experiences you have in an internship will be the most influential and beneficial to your career. Learning from actually doing is better than reading from a book. Try to obtain as many internships as you possibly can during your college career to gain the most experience.